While the name doesn’t sound so great, this dish turned out amazingly well. I made it for lunch but it certainly would make for a great dinner or a side dish.
Coconut Broccoli Bacon Stir Fry Spinach Salad
- Coconut Oil
- Bacon strips
- Vegetables (feel free to vary)
- Mushroom Slices
- Spinach Leaves
- Coconut flakes
- Dressing of choice (I used Spicy Dijon Mustard)
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add melt tablespoons of Coconut Oil.
- Add some strips of bacon. I used 3 strips. Fry the bacon until it is close to being done as you would normally cook it, but not quite.
- Add pieces of broccoli, mushroom slices, etc. I’m sure any type of vegetable would work here. Cauliflower would certainly be great. Just fill up the pan with them.
- Stir everything up, making sure to mix it all up in the coconut oil.
- Optional: I added a tablespoon of butter on top just to add more fat but it probably doesn’t add to the flavor so feel free to skip.
- Optional: using a spoon and knife, break up the bacon strips into smaller pieces in the pan.
- Add dried coconut flakes. I used about 1 to 2 tablespoons but next time I’ll probably add more. The coconut flakes make for a subtle hint of coconut so if you like coconut, definitely go for more.
- Again, stir everything up in the pan. Keep doing so until the coconut flakes are slightly browned.
- In a bowl/dish, prepare a bed of spinach leaves.
- Pour the stir fry from the pan, oil and all, onto the bed of spinach leaves.
- Optional: Add a dollop (i.e., a tablespoon or two) of a dressing if you like. I added a spicy dijon mustard that I had in the fridge and it was excellent.
That’s it. If you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it!
Some variations might include not using coconut (if you absolutely don’t like coconut this is an obvious one), maybe a squeeze of lemon, etc. One final recommendation: a tangy dressing is definitely the way to go with this salad, but it would be fine without any dressing at all I would think. Particularly if you use more coconut flakes than I did.